The daughter church of Peter and Paul in the village of Berg, has a high religious significance in the community of Berg im Attergau, although the history of the origin of the church is still not definitively clarified.
Whenever the first church was built in Berg, the small, single-aisled hall church in its present form dates from the 18th century, but it has older components (Romanesque round windows). The west gallery with stucco dates from the beginning of the 18th century. The church has a west tower with an onion-shaped helmet.
The high altar is from the period between 1750 and 1775. The high altar painting shows the two apostle princes Peter and Paul in front of the church St. Paul before the walls in Rome before the great fire of the church in 1823.
The two angels with the attributes of the apostles (key and sword) date from the same period as the altar. The candlesticks were made a little later.
The crucifix is a so-called wound saviour from the time between 1680 and 1710.
The beautiful square around the church used to be a cemetery. In 2019 some ash trees had to be felled on the area, they were replaced by new trees. Furthermore, an access from the street to the cemetery portal was created.
Legal contact informationPeterskirche Berg im Attergau