Follow the footsteps of famous artists,who spent their summer holiday in Steinbach.
There are 14 stations beetween Steinbach and Weißenbach where you can discover a lot of interesting things.
Church to the holy Andreas
The location on the hill over the lake was already used as a cult place by Romans and Celts. The construction period of this church is not known but they suppose the construction was in 1410.
Binder-crib in the church
In the foyer of the church on the left side there is an excellent creation of native wood craft by Franz Binder. For several faces he used ideals of the local population.
Vienna chapel at the church way
The Vienna chapel from the middle of the 17th century belongs to the Wienerfarmershouse. 1995 the chapel was restored and represents itself as a good example for rural buildings.
St. Nikolaus chapel in Weißenbach
The Nikolo way serve as remembrance of the patron of sailing people. In the interior of the chapel there are some wooden figures of the local scuptor Franz binder.
Mill house in Kaisigen
The farmer mill from the 18th century was made out of wood exclusevily and is fully functional. In the summer every tuesday guided tours are available.
Local heritage museum in Seefeld
In front of the estuary of the Kienbach into the lake there is the "Huthaus", which was a former accomodation of the "k.u.k Salinenforste". The "Hallwood" elevator system which was used to transport wood from the river Weißenbach to the Traun is situated in the local heritage museum today.
Componer's hut from Gustav Mahler in Seefeld
To be able to compose without interruptions a small hut was built for him. In the 1980s it was renovated completely. A visit is possible at every time. You have to ask for the key at the reception of the inn Föttinger.
Gustav Mahler memorial stone at the pier
In 1996 they built a memorial stone of Gustav Mahler because of the completion of the third symphony a hundred years ago. This place was chosen because he could only reach Steinbach via ship.
"Bleibtreu-Villa" in Seefeld
The actor Hedwig Bleibtreu worked for the Vienna court theatre in 1890s. He married his colleague and a villa was built for him in Steinbach, with an excellent view over the lake.
Franz-Stoß-Weg in Forstamt
Franz Stoß took up an acting class and worked in the Vienna court theatre. In the 60s a refugium was built for him in Steinbach.
Doderer-Villa in Forstamt
Heimito from Doderer lived in Forstamt in 1946 in the house of his uncle and wrote his monumental book "Strudelhofstiege".
Wolter-hut in Weißenbach
She bought houses together with her husband Graf O'Sullivan de Grass and rebuild them to classy summer villa.
The chestnut alley which range from Weißenbach towards Burgau, is named after him.
Friedrich Gulda in Weißenbach
Friedrich Gulda lived in Weißenbach from 1962-2000.
Quelle: Folder Steinbacher Kulturwanderweg