© Foto: TVB Attersee-Attergau, Moritz Ablinger: Paar am Steg
Mann und Frau in Tracht sitzen an einem gedeckten Tisch am Steg und prosten sich mit Weißwein zu.

Parish and pilgrimage church "Maria Attersee"

Attersee am Attersee, Oberösterreich, Österreich
  • All weather

The parish and pilgrimage church "Maria Attersee" is the one of the landmarks of Attersee am Attersee.

Situated on top of the historic Kirchberg high above Lake Attersee from where you have a fantastic view over the lake and the sourrounding Areas as far as the Höllengebirge, the Wachtberg and the Gahberg to the pleasant flat fields at the foothills of the Alps.

As early as the 6th century, a Bavarian duke court located onthis small hill. In 788, the Bavarian duke possessions in the Attergau were passed on to the Carolingians, the center being Atarhoven (Attersee). The Carolingian court was first documented in 885, when Charles III bestowed the Nineth of his Court "Atarhova" to the chapel of Ötting.

On the All Saints' Day of 1007, emperor Henry II founded the bishopric Bamberg. His chancellor was designated bishop under the name of Eberhard I. The rich donations from the imperial benefactor provided a secure economical basis for the bishopric. Among the 27 deeds of donation is one that reads: „All Christian believers shall know that we have donated Atarhov in the Attergau, which is our property, with everything connected to it, with its small towns, villages, churches … to the episcopal seat of Bamberg …“

The bishops of Bamberger expanded Atarhoven into a powerful medieval castle, which was surrounded by the still existing moat. From the end of the 13th century, the property was pawned several times, lastly to the powerful Schaunberger. In 1793, duke Albrecht III of Habsburg acquired the entire property in the Attergau from the bishopric Bamberg. The castle deteriorated during the 16th century, only leaving today's church, which used to be the palace chapel of the Attersee castel in honor of the Assumption of Mary.

The history of the chapel:
During the first half of the 15th century, the nave and the presbytery were rebuilt into a two-span Gothic church like many other churches in the Attergau of that time. From 1722-1728, the interior space was refurbished in Baroque style by the master-builder Jakob Pawanger under the patronage of Franz Ferdinand Count Khevenhüller: the Gothic arch was replaced by a Baroque arch and the spacious side additions and the splendid church tower were built.

Short description of the church

High altar:
The very beautiful late-baroque high altar was designed by Josef Mathias Götz from Passau and built by Georg Paumeister. The statues of St. Anna, Mary's mother and St. Elisabeth, the mother of John the Baptist. as well as the chancel were built by J.M. Götz (1728/39). Of the paintings, only the former high altar piece is signed by F.X. Gürter, 1787 (the piece is now arranged in the back of the nave, right underneath the window).

The miraculous image of the Virgin Mary in a precious Rococo silver frame above the tabernacle constitutes the core of the high altar. The miraculous image was transferred from the church of St.Georgen to Attersee by Pastor Anton Balster on the 15th of August 1652.

Chronicle about the miraculous image in the parish:
When the church of St.Georgen i.A. was plundered in 1622, a woman took possession of this image of the Virgin Mary and used it as a closure for her henhouse. Because the image constantly fell over, the furious woman attacked it with an axe uttering blasphemous words. However, at the point of impact, at the neck of the Virgin and the forehead of the Infant Jesus, an stripe of blood appeared, which could not be wiped off and is still visible today.

The image on the left wing presents St. Joseph, Virgin Mary's groom, the image on the right wing shows the priest Zacharias, father of John the Baptist.

Especially notable (probably relicts of the former Gothic high altar):
The Gothic statue of the Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus at the high altar above the miraculous image (in baroque revision)

At the side walls above the altar rail:
St. Petrus (the church patron of Bamberg refers to the former historic connection to Bamberg)
St. Stefanus (the church patron of Passau refers to the former affiliation of Attersee to the bishopric Passau)
The Gothic high relief image representing the Adoration of the Magi at the left side altar.

The Rococo chancel (the pulpit cover shows Moses with the Tablets of Law, surrounded by three petite angels, symbolising the three divine virtues faith, hope and love)

Side altars:
At the right side altar – a painting of St. Judas Taddäus (the patron saint of desperate cases) he is flanked by the baroque statues of St. Francis and St. Antony.

At the left side altar – a painting of St. Maria Magdalena (the purging sinner) flanked by the baroque statues of St. Johannes Nepomuk and St. Barbara.

At the left side exit - altar of the Virgin Mary – baroque painting of the 14 helpers in need – the tomb of pastor Anton Balster.

At the right side exit -beautiful Rococo-altar – baptistery – large votive image

Right narthex – war memorial (1914-1918 and 1939-1945) of the township of Attersee, representing Christ, who shows heaven to the soldier kneeling in front of him.

Very appealing cemetery. Many of the graves are decorated with beautiful hand-carved crosses. Worth mentioning are also the very old painted crosses of the Children Cemetery.

all year round

Sundays: 8:30am parochial church service
Wednesdays: 6:30pm rosary, 7pm church service
Saturdays: 7:30am rosary, 8:00am church service
Holiday season 8:00am and 9:30am


469 m

Accessibility / arrival

By car:
From Salzburg take the motorway A1 – exit St. Georgen im Attergau – left sight Attersee
From Vienna/Linz take motorway A1 – exit St. Georgen im Attergau – left sight Attersee
From Westside – Bad Ischl – Weißenbachtal – Unterach – Nußdorf – Attersee

By train:
From Salzburg or Vienna/Linz to Vöcklamarkt, change the ÖBB-train to Atterseebahn to Attersee

By airplane:
From Salzburg take the motorway A1 – exit St. Georgen im Attergau – left sight Attersee
From Vienna/Linz take the motorway A1 – exit St. Georgen im Attergau – left sight Attersee

  • Parking space: 5
Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
General price information


  • All weather
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Autumn
  • Winter

Please get in touch for more information.


Parish and pilgrimage church "Maria Attersee"
4864 Attersee am Attersee

Phone +43 7666 7856

You can also visit us on

Visit us on Facebook Visit our videochannel on YouTube Wikipedia
Contact person
Mr Pfarrer Josef Schreiner
4864 Attersee am Attersee

Legal contact information

Pfarr- und Wallfahrtskirche "Maria Attersee"
-4864 Attersee am Attersee

We speak the following languages


powered by TOURDATA