Roman mosaic at the elementary school Weyregg
Weyregg was off the beaten track, but the Romans were still enjoying luxurious summer holidays.
Already in 1767 and 1830, magnificent floor mosaics were discovered in the garden of the Pollhammergut. One of the mosaics can be viewed at the elementary school.
The buildings were probably built at the end of the second century and were converted into a luxurious way by the installation of underfloor heating systems and new mosaic floors around 290 AD.
The home museum Vöcklabruck shows two very vivid villas and some finds.
The motif of the heart-shaped oak leaf - a symbol of the Romans - served as a model for the Weyregg coat of arms.
Who built and inhabited these villas remains hidden in the darkness of the history, since there were hardly any coins or objects of use among the objects found. There are also no signs of a fire. Thus, it can be assumed that the Romans have returned to their homeland before the storms of the migration of the peoples in still peaceful times.