Property endowments to the bishopric Salzburg are evidence for a very early Christian pastoral post in Weißenbach.
Yet, we don't know for sure when the Propriety church of Salzburg, St. Nikolaus, was built. There is a letter of indulgence related to the church from 1341 and the last documents date back to 1450. The church was probably buried under a landslide.
Thanks to the Nikolo trail from Steinbach to Weißenbach, the memory of the church, which was dedicated to the patron of the sailors, was kept alive. In 1954, the Austrian national bank acquired the entire hotel property in Weißenbach. In the course of various renovations, the St. Nikolaus chapel was rebuilt. Since 1956, masses and prayers are being held there during the summer months. Inside the chapel, there are numerous wooden sculptures by the local sculptor Franz Binder.