Accommodation Booking

Children
Travel period: 2 Nights
Detailed search options
Search by location:
Search by location
Search for accommodation
Loading accomodations ...

Your enquiry

Please fill in all fields marked *.

The information you provide (email address; optional: salutation, title, name, surname, address, telephone number, request) is exclusively used by Tourismusverband Attersee-Attergau to process your request and is only disclosed if the request is to be answered by third parties (e.g. tourism service providers). See also the Privacy Notice.

Parish and pilgrimage church "Maria Attersee"

Attersee am Attersee, Oberösterreich, Österreich

The parish and pilgrimage church "Maria Attersee" is the one of the landmarks of Attersee.

It is situated on top of the historic Kirchberg (church hill) high above Lake Attersee and its surroundings. From here, a marvellous view of the lake land opens up to the beholder. You have an overview of the foothills of the limestone Alps (Höllengebirge) in the South, passing into the Flysch Highlands (Wachtberg, Gahberg) to the pleasant flat fields of the foothills of the Alps in the North.

History:
As early as in the 6th century, there was a Bavarian duke court located at this small hill. In 788, the Bavarian duke lands in the Attergau were passed on to the Carolingians. The centre of this wide-stretched property was Atarhoven (Attersee). The Carolingian court was first documented in 885, when Charles III bestowed the Ninth of his Court "Atarhova" to the chapel of Ötting.

On the All Saints' Day of 1007, emperor Henry II founded the bishopric Bamberg. His chancellor was designated bishop under the name of Eberhard I. The rich donations from the imperial benefactor provided a secure economical basis for the bishopric. Among the 27 deeds of donation is one that reads: „All Christian believers shall know that we have donated Atarhov in the Attergau, which is our property, with everything connected to it, with its small towns, villages, churches … to the episcopal seat of Bamberg …“

The bishops of Bamberger expanded Atarhoven into a powerful medieval castle, which was surrounded by the still existing moat. From the end of the 13th century, the property was pawned several times, lastly to the powerful Schaunberger. In 179, duke Albrecht III of Habsburg acquired the entire property in the Attergau of the bishopric Bamberg. The castle went ruin during the 16th century, only leaving today's church, which used to be the palace chapel of the Attersee castel in honour of the Assumption of Mary.

The history of the chapel:
During the first half of the 15th century, the nave and the presbytery were rebuilt into a two-span Gothic church like many other churches in the Attergau. In the years of 1722-1728, the interior space was refurbished in Baroque style by the master-builder Jakob Pawanger under the patronage of Franz Ferdinand Count Khevenhüller: the Gothic arch was replaced by a Baroque arch and the spacious side additions and the splendid church tower were built.

Short description of the church

High altar:
The very beautiful late-baroque high altar was designed by Josef Mathias Götz from Passau and built by Georg Paumeister. The statues of St. Anna, Mary's mother and St. Elisabeth, the mother of John the Baptist as well as the chancel were built by J.M. Götz (1728/39). Of the paintings, only the former high altar piece is signed by F.X. Gürter, 1787 (the piece is now arranged in the back of the nave, to the right underneath the window).

The miraculous image of the Virgin Mary in a precious Rococo silver frame above the tabernacle is the core of the high altar. The miraculous image was transferred from the church of St.Georgen to Attersee by Pastor Anton Balster on the 15th of August 1652.

Chronicle about the miraculous image in the parish:
When the church of St.Georgen i.A. was plundered in 1622, a woman took possession of this image of the Virgin Mary and used it as a timber needle for her henhouse. Because the image constantly fell over, the furious woman attacked it with an axe using blasphemous words. However, at the point of impact, at the neck of the Virgin and the forehead of the Infant Jesus, an ensanguined stripe appeared, which couldn't be wiped off and is still visible down to the present day.

The image on the left wing presents St. Joseph, Virgin Mary's groom, the image on the right wing shows the priest Zacharias, father of John the Baptist.

Especially notable (probably relicts of the former Gothic high altar):
The Gothic statue of the Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus at the high altar above the miraculous image (in baroque revision)

At the side walls above the altar rail:
St. Petrus (the church patron of Bamberg refers to the former historic connection to Bamberg)
St. Stefanus (the church patron of Passau refers to the former affiliation of Attersee to the bishopric Passau)
The Gothic high relief image representing the Adoration of the Magi at the left side altar.

The Rococo chancel (the pulpit cover shows Moses with the Tablets of Law, surrounded by three petite angels, symbolising the three divine virtues faith, hope and love)

Side altars:
At the right side altar – a painting of St. Judas Taddäus (the patron saint of desperate cases) he is flanked by the baroque statues of St. Francis and St. Antony.

At the left side altar – a painting of St. Maria Magdalena (the purging sinner) flanked by the baroque statues of St. Johannes Nepomuk and St. Barbara.

At the left side exit - altar of the Virgin Mary – baroque painting of the 14 helpers in need – the tomb of pastor Anton Balster.

At the right side exit -beautiful Rococo-altar – baptistery – large votive image

Right narthex – war memorial (1914-1918 and 1939-1945) of the township of Attersee, representing Christ, who shows heaven to the soldier kneeling in front of him.

Cemetery:
Very appealing mountain cemetery. Many of the graves are decorated with beautiful hand-carved crosses. Worth mentioning are also the very old painted crosses of the Children Cemetery.


Sundays: 8:30am parochial church service
Wednesdays: 6:30pm rosary, 7pm church service
Saturdays: 7:30am rosary, 8:00am church service
Holiday season 8:00am and 9:30am

Elevation

469 m

Accessibility / arrival

By car:
From Salzburg take the motorway A1 – exit St. Georgen im Attergau – left sight Attersee
From Vienna/Linz take motorway A1 – exit St. Georgen im Attergau – left sight Attersee
From Westside – Bad Ischl – Weißenbachtal – Unterach – Nußdorf – Attersee

By train:
From Salzburg or Vienna/Linz to Vöcklamarkt, change the ÖBB-train to Attergaubahn to Attersee

By airplane:
From Salzburg take the motorway A1 – exit St. Georgen im Attergau – left sight Attersee
From Vienna/Linz take the motorway A1 – exit St. Georgen im Attergau – left sight Attersee

Parking
  • Parking space: 5
Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
General price information

free

  • All weather
Season
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Autumn
  • Winter

Für Informationen beim Kontakt anfragen.

Contact


Parish and pilgrimage church "Maria Attersee"
Kirchenstraße
4864 Attersee am Attersee

+43 7666 7856
pfarre.attersee@dioezese-linz.at
www.dioezese-linz.at/pfarren/atters...
attersee-attergau.salzkammergut.at
http://www.dioezese-linz.at/pfarren/attersee
https://attersee-attergau.salzkammergut.at

Contact person
Mr Pfarrer Josef Schreiner
4864 Attersee am Attersee

We speak the following languages

German

powered by TOURDATA